Perhaps a phrase you hear few people utter, but Brussels sprouts are my favorite vegetable. I feel they get a bad rap because folks just don’t know how to prepare them properly. Boiled and steamed, they are nasty. Baked, roasted, sauteed, etc., methods that incorporate flavor while maintaining a nice bite, those are the ways you should enjoy them.
Last night I came up with a quick and easy recipe that only utilized five ingredients and only took about 10 minutes to prep. Even better, under 150 calories per serving!
ROASTED BRUSSELS SPROUTS WITH BACON
Makes 4 servings
1 12 oz. bag Brussels sprouts
8 strips bacon, raw
2 tablespoons olive oil
Ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Layer strips of bacon into one equal stack. Cut into small squares, about 1/2 in in size. Place in bowl.
- Wash sprouts, dry thoroughly, and cut in halves. Place in bowl over bacon.
- Add olive oil and seasonings, mix ingredients thoroughly.
- Line a small baking sheet with either parchment paper or aluminum foil. Spread out sprouts in one layer. Roast until sprouts are slightly brown and semi-tender, about 1 hour.