Today is International Bacon Day! In honor of the festivities, I decided it was an excuse to add bacon to one of my faves – Chipotle Cheddar Cornbread. Super easy recipe, semi-homemade style.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Cook the bacon to crispy but still chewy. Reserve some bacon grease (about two tablespoons) drain remainder and diced into small pieces. Set aside.
- Mix cornbread mix, milk and eggs until well incorporated.
- Mix in onion cheddar, chipotle peppers, and bacon.
- Take bacon grease and use to grease a 4″x8″ loaf pan.
- Pour bread batter into pan, and transfer to oven. Bake about 1 hour, until top is golden brown and you can insert a toothpick to the bread and it comes out clean.
- Let cool about one hour, remove from pan. Serve plain, or with butter and honey.